Thank you for all your support with the value of the month for November, which was Friendship. The work that you did at home with the children has really helped us to reinforce the idea of friendship and how we see others.
Our value of the month for December is Peace
We can split peace into two areas:
External peace-in the world and in relationships needed for a civilised society
Internal peace:- the feeling of self-contentment with who we are and what we have.
Suggestions for parents to work with children at home.
- Talk about a special place where you can sit quietly and think. Why do we need to be quiet and peaceful sometimes? Discuss how you feel inside when you are quiet and peaceful.
- Talk about the sort of things that make you feel peaceful inside. How important is peace in our lives?
- Discuss what it means to have peace in your family. What sort of things disrupt the peace in your family? What can help the family be more peaceful?
- Talk together about situations that make you angry and ways of finding peaceful solutions.
- How can we try to control angry feelings and replace them with calmer, peaceful ones?
- Try to explore how feelings can escalate and small upsets become big and out of control
- Discuss the question: ‘Are people naturally peaceful, or do they need to be taught?’
8.Make a list:
– reasons to be selfish, greedy, cruel etc.
– what teaches us to be violent, cruel?
– what stops us being bad?
– what teaches us to be kind?
- Discuss: Fighting among friends and family– why does it happen? How can it be avoided? How can we have peaceful relationships? What is a peaceful person?
- Talk about how you think we can stop wanting things, status, attention etc so that we can feel more contentment and peace.
- Discuss scenes on television that show arguments. What makes people argue and lose their temper? Think of five thing you can do to prevent arguments.
- Help your child to make a poster on what others should not do, or what behaviours you would like from others.
- Complete the following sentences:
If I want to feel relaxed and peaceful I……
Peace is ……………………….
The most peaceful place I can remember is………………..
- Let your children know when you appreciate them being a ‘giver of peace’. Acknowledge their positive efforts towards communication during an argument or disagreement.
Please let your child’s teacher know if we can celebrate any work from home, in school.
If you can support us in any way, please get in touch via the school office.